I would like to donate a tithe (10%) that there might be FOOD in the church's STOREHOUSE.
As tithing was only ever of LIVESTOCK and PRODUCE ... and I have neither, my tithe consists of: the plants and animals in my suburban property:
- head lice
- gum leaves
I have just over a tonne of tithes for the last year. Where at your church would you like me to dump it?
Waiting eagerly to pay my tithes.
A total list of bible passages mentioning tithing:
OLD TESTAMENT Genesis 14:20 Genesis 28:22 Leviticus 27: 30 - 32 Numbers 18:21 - 28 Deuteronomy 12: 6 - 27 Deuteronomy 14: 22 - 29 Deuteronomy 26 : 1 - 15 2 Chronicles 31: 5 - 21 Nehemiah 10: 37 - 39 Nehemiah 12: 44 - 47 Nehemiah 13: 4 - 13 Proverbs 3: 9 - 10 Amos 4: 4 Malachi 3: 8 12
APOCRYPHA Tobit 1: 6 - 8
NEW TESTAMENT Matthew 23: 23 Luke ll: 42 Luke 18:12 1 Corinthians 0: 13 Hebrews 7: 1 - 10
It is often argued that tithing was before the law and is therefore binding to New Testament Christians. The only two instances of tithing before the law was given do not support this claim.
GENESIS 14:20 The tithe given here was a tithe of the spoils of war only (Check Hebrews 7:4)
GENESIS 28:22 This was Jacob's promise to God and is not binding to Christians. (If it is binding, is Jacob's pillar still God's house?)
Tithing. under the law, was only of animals and crops. (Lev 27:30-32; Deut 14:22-29; 2 Chron 31:5-6; Neh 10:37-39; Neh 13:5,12)
Tithes were eaten as food.( Num 18:31; Deut 12:17; Deut 14:23, 26, 29; Deut 26:12,14,; 2 Chron 31:10)
A FAVOURITE TEXT is Malachi 3:10. Read it carefully:
"Bring the whole tithe into the STOREHOUSE, that there may be FOOD in my house." (New International Version)
This statement is about FOOD NOT MONEY. It is about storage of food in a storehouse not storage of money in a bank account. (See also Neh 10:37-39)
In addition there are THREE DIFFERENT TITHES - all of animals and crops:
1 A Tithe For Levites. (Num 18:21-24; Neh 10:36-39; Neh 12:44-48)
This included the musicians. singers and gatekeepers. 1 Chron 15:16; 1 Chron 16:42; Neh 12:45-47) It also included the babies, wives. sons and daughters of the Levites who ministered. (2 Chron 31:18)
2 A Tithe Of The Tithe For The Lord's Offering. (Num 18:26-28; Neh 10:36 Neh 12:44-48)
This was to be given to Aaron or the priests.
3 A Tithe Of The Tithe Every Three Years For The Levites, Aliens Fatherless And Widows. (Deut 14:28-29; Deut 26:12-14)
Even if these were tithes of money (which they weren't) the people of Israel in Old Testament times would only give 12% in taxes at the most since the tithe was the only Government/Church tax. Also, if we count eleven tribes apart from the Levites (Ephraim and Mannassah being the two half tribes that make up Joseph) then the Levites would receive 110% of the average person's earnings. That is 8% of the community in full time ministry supported by the other 92%
In the New Testament only those under the law are mentioned as having tithed. (Matt23:23; Luke 11:42; Luke 18:12). The Jerusalem Council's letter to Gentile believers (ie us!) does not mention it either. (Acts 15:23-29)
TITHING: SUPER SPIRITUAL OR FOOLISHLY PHARISAIC?